One of the most common questions among pianists is how to go about learning new pieces more effectively. Therefore, we’re pleased to announce the launch of From the Ground Up, a new series of resources on the Online Academy which directly addresses this question. From the Ground Up is a series devoted to learning individual pieces using outlines and reduced scores that help you to practise more effectively, memorize more consciously, and interpret music more creatively.
Each From the Ground Up edition starts with a reduced score or foundation which reveals the essential structure of the music. Detail is then added in layers through successive scores thus enabling learning of a piece from the ground up rather than the top down. Practising in this manner helps not only to learn a particular piece with efficiency and understanding, but also to practise more creatively in general.
Illustration of From the Ground Up approach using excerpts from Bach’s Little Prelude in F
Authored by Ken Johansen, co-founder of the Read Ahead sight-reading programme and professor at the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University, the series will feature popular works from throughout the repertoire, starting with two works by Schumann and JS Bach respectively. Please click here to find out more about From the Ground Up on the Online Academy or on one of the following links to view the first two editions:
- Schumann – Von fremden Ländern und Menschen (from Kinderszenen)
- Bach – Little Prelude in F (from the Notebook for Wilhelm Friedrich Bach)
How to access From the Ground Up?
If you are already a subscriber to the Online Academy then all From the Ground Up content is available to you as part of your subscription. Otherwise if you are not a subscriber and wish to access From the Ground Up, please click here to find out more about the Online Academy or on one of the options below to subscribe:
- Monthly subscription – Subscribe for £7.99 a month to get full, unlimited access to all Online Academy articles and updates (click here to sign-up for this option)
- Annual subscription – Save over 15% on the monthly subscription with an annual subscription which gives you access to all articles and updates for £79.99 per year (click here to sign-up for this option)
- Premium subscription – Purchase an annual subscription for £79.99 per year and get an eBook bundle including the complete Practising the Piano Multimedia eBook series and Annotated Study Edition bundle (combined value of £56.00) for an additional once off payment of £20 (click here to sign-up for this option)